Trac proudly powers the recruitment for
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust
We became a Foundation Trust (FT) on 1 October 2010.
We operate from three main hospital sites - Furness General Hospital in Barrow, the Royal Lancaster Infirmary and Westmorland General Hospital in Kendal and two centres - Queen Victoria Hospital in Morecambe and Ulverston Community Health Centre.
Furness General Hospital and the Royal Lancaster Infirmary have a range of 'General Hospital' services, with full Emergency Departments, Critical/Coronary Care units and Consultant led beds. Westmorland General Hospital provides a range of General Hospital services, together with a Primary Care Assessment Service (PCAS) and GP led inpatient beds, operated by Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
Respiratory Consultant - Pleural
Accepting applications until: 06-Feb-2022 23:59
Vacancy status: Open
Accepting applications until: 06-Feb-2022 23:59
- Royal Lancaster Infirmary
- Ashton Road
- LA1 4RP
- Major / Minor Region
Contract type & working pattern
- Full time - 10 sessions per week (General medical on calls operate on a 1:12 basis at RLI and may be negotiated.)
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Main area
- Respiratory Medicine
''A great place to be cared for; a great place to work''
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay has a firm commitment to strengthening the diversity of our workforce, and therefore welcome and encourage applications from likeminded people who can support our ambition to become effortlessly inclusive. We are particularly keen to hear from protected groups – including BAME, LGBT+ and people with a disability.
Are you a Consultant in Respiratory Medicine, looking for a new challenge and a change of scene? Are you about to CCT and are keen to develop your career somewhere a little different? Come and join our Respiratory team at University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust (UHMBT). We are looking to appoint a consultant colleague to our department due to expansion of services, in a full time post, however we welcome conversations about flexible ways of working. We work across Morecambe Bay, providing care to people with Respiratory illnesses .
As a team we provide senior Respiratory Medicine support to the acute hospital sites at Lancaster Royal Infirmary and Furness General Hospital, and to the community Respiratory teams across the Bay. All posts support the Bay-wide team but members of the medical team focus on a particular respiratory sub speciality, across the hospital inpatient setting and in the community, allowing for continuity of care and a system-wide approach to management utilising the unique and innovative Morecambe Bay Respiratory Network (MBRN).
We work alongside teams of Advanced Care Practitioners and Clinical Nurse Specialists in each of these settings, many of whom are non-medical prescribers. We have a very good working relationship with our colleagues in Primary Care with regular conversations through advice and guidance, and multidisciplinary team meetings as part of the MBRN.
The Respiratory team is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic, committed Consultant to join our multidisciplinary team. The respiratory department is well-supported with specialist trainees, advanced nurse practitioners, and an equally enthusiastic and skilled team of respiratory nurse specialists, lung cancer nurse specialists, pleural disease nurse practitioner and specialist respiratory physiologists. The job plan is for 10 PAs, although this can be flexible and successful candidates may have an opportunity to negotiate on-call commitments and job plans. We would also warmly welcome applications for a part-time post. All the present consultants have young families and strongly advocate team working and support to ensure a healthy work-life balance.
UHMBT is home to the excellent and innovative Morecambe Bay Respiratory Network (MBRN). The aim of this network is to provide seamless care for respiratory patients in a multidisciplinary setting. The establishment of the MBRN has been responsible for:
- The creation of specialist respiratory GPs who can manage their own complex caseloads and are able to request advanced investigations such as CT chest and lung function.
- Integrated, multidisciplinary, multi-professional meetings to ensure patients have access to holistic and relevant expertise in a timely fashion.
- Multidisciplinary educational events.
- A reduction in referrals to secondary care meaning that more patients can be managed closer to home
Working for our organisation
The Trust, University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, operates across three Hospitals: Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Furness General Hospital and Westmorland General Hospital.
You will be based at Royal Lancaster Infirmary (with an expectation to work at our other hospitals) which is set within the historic city of Lancaster and close to the beautiful Lake District, with affordable housing and easy access by road and rail to London (approx. 2hour train journey to London Euston), Manchester, and Liverpool. There is excellent schooling, both state and private. The trust is flexible on distance between home and work in order for you to make the most of the surrounding areas of outstanding natural beauty. Indeed, ensuring you get a positive work life balance is important to us so whether it’s fell walking, running or cycling that inspires you then this is one of the best places in the UK to be based.
The Trust has a keen interest and extensive involvement in Medical and Dental Education at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels. We work in partnership with Lancaster Medical School, North Western Deanery and Health Education North West to provide quality education and training which meets the requirements of these regulatory bodies as well as the Trust’s high standards of patient care. UHMBT is the lead NHS organisation for Lancaster Medical School and takes responsibility throughout the five years of the degree for the provision of acute practice placements
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The aim is to continue with the development of the integrated care network with a focus on the development of the MBRN structure in the South Lakes region. The post will comprise responsibility for the following:
- Development of the MBRN structure within the South Lakes region.
- Focus on education and development for all those involved in caring for respiratory patients in the community in both the acute and chronic situations.
- Maintaining and developing the MBRN multidisciplinary meetings.
- Development of smoking cessation services
- Support for pulmonary rehabilitation services and existing community respiratory teams.
- General respiratory work will include a contribution to the consultant of the week ward rota and also outpatient clinics
- General medical on calls operate on a 1:12 basis at RLI and may be negotiated.
- This post represents an ideal opportunity for those with an interest in intervention and candidates who are motivated to develop a sub-specialty interest and lead and develop a service for the benefit of our patients.
You must be fully registered with the GMC and be on the Specialist Register or be within six months of obtaining your CCT award at the time of interview. If you have not yet obtained your place on the specialist register to enable you to take up a consultant position, we would still welcome your application and we will proactively support you to fulfil your career aspiration.
From 1st April 2022 - All employees of University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay Trust are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID 19. Medical exemption evidence will be accepted
The Behavioural Standards Framework
Everybody’s responsibility in everything we do
** Please Note: all interviews will be undertaken virtually via Microsoft Team Meetings this is to ensure we all stay safe and are COVID secure
Visit our Inclusion and Diversity page : https://www.uhmb.nhs.uk/about-us/inclusion-and-diversity-matter-uhmb/
Stay up to date with the latest news:
Main Trust website -: www.uhmb.nhs.uk
Trust recruitment website -: http://betterwithyou.co.uk/vacancies/
Like us on Facebook –: www.facebook.com/UHMBT
Follow us on Twitter -: @UHMBT
PLEASE NOTE THAT SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED BY EMAIL.
The Trust promotes flexible working opportunities where ever possible to enable staff to balance their work and home life. We are committed to Equal Opportunities and aim to be Effortlessly Inclusive .
The trust operates a No Smoking Policy.
Only those applicants who demonstrate clearly how they meet our Person Specification will be shortlisted for Interview.
We reserve the right to close a job advert early where sufficient applications have been received.
The Trust does not offer interview expenses to shortlisted candidates unless indicated in the advert
If the post is subject to Disclosure & Barring Service checking, (formally CRB) a charge of £40 for Enhanced and £23 for Standard clearance for will be made to the successful candidate(s).
Anyone newly appointed to the trust under the Agenda For Change contract, will be subject to the completion of a satisfactory 6 month probationary period. This will give the new staff member an opportunity to become familiar with the role and working environment.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Education adn Qualifications
- MBBS and MRCP, or equivalent Full GMC Registration with a licence to practise Entry on the GMC Specialist Register via: CCT(proposed CCT date must be within 6 months of interview date. CESR. European Community Rights
- An appropriate higher General Medicine medical qualification
- Depth and breadth of experience in General Internal Medicine and Respiratory Medicine following completion of approved STR training programme or equivalent. Experience in a special interest that will complement those existing in the department
- Experience at locum consultant level.
Skills, ability and knowledge
- Willingness and ability to fulfil the key elements of the job description. Ability to lead and develop the service. Ability to develop effective working relationships on an individual multi-professional and team basis with all levels of staff. Ability to communicate effectively. Understanding of clinical governance and the individual responsibilities it implies. Capacity to manage own workload and ward rounds and prioritise time and information effectively. Evidence of teaching appropriate to Medical students and Doctors in training and the multidisciplinary team
- Knowledge of multidisciplinary clinical audit principles and evidence of direct involvement. Knowledge of principles of research and evidence of involvement.
- Ability to travel as required
- Job Summary Respiratory Consultant - Pleural Disease (PDF, 605.1KB)
- Person Spec (PDF, 158.1KB)
- Car Park Information (DOC, 28.0KB)
- Behavioural Standards Framework - on a page (PDF, 246.3KB)
- The Behavioural Standards Framework (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Furness General Hospital Accessibility Plan (PDF, 174.8KB)
- Royal Lancaster Infirmary Accessibility Plan 2017 (PDF, 170.6KB)
- Westmorland General Hospital Hospital Accessibility Plan (DOCX, 112.6KB)
- LGBT Network Leaflet (PDF, 226.6KB)
- Annual Report 2019/2020 (PDF, 5.7MB)
- Access to Work information sheet (PDF, 172.0KB)
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mark Clancy
- Job title
- Respiratory Service Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 07854 655812
- Additional information
For further details / informal visits contact:
Dr Urmi Gupta, Clinical Lead and Consultant in Respiratory Medicine (firstname.lastname@example.org);
Dr Timothy Gatheral, Consultant in Respiratory Medicine and Clinical Academic, University of Lancaster (email@example.com)
Dr Mark Wilkinson, Consultant in Respiratory Medicine and Clinical Lead Critical Care (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Start your application
You must sign in to a Trac account before you can apply for this job.
Create an account
Create your account and apply for your new job!