Trac proudly powers the recruitment for
London Ambulance Service NHS Trust
The London Ambulance Service NHS Trust (LAS) is the largest free ambulance service in the world, caring for more than one-and-a-half million patients every year.
We are the only London-wide NHS Trust and are at the frontline of the NHS in the capital. We serve an area of approximately 620 square miles. Broadly speaking, this is the whole area within the M25.
We have two main functions - the provision of an Accident and Emergency service to respond to 999 calls and our Patient Transport Service, which performs an important role in taking patients to and from their hospital appointments.
In addition, we also manage the Emergency Bed Service, which co-ordinates registers of specialised care facilities available across London, along with some national monitoring services.
IM&T Networks Specialist
Closed for applications on: 13-Dec-2021 00:01
Vacancy status: Closed
Closed for applications on: 13-Dec-2021 00:01
- IM&T Networks
- SE1 8SD
- Major / Minor Region
Contract type & working pattern
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- £47,154 - £52,936 per annum inclusive of HCAS
- Salary period
- (Band 7)
- Main area
- IM&T Networks Specialist
London Ambulance Service covers an area of 620 sq. miles, serves one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities and is the busiest ambulance service in the UK. We handle over 1.9 million emergency calls from across the capital and attend more than 1.2 million incidents every single year as well as delivering a 24 hour NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care Service in South East and North East London that we estimate will respond to around 1.4million urgent care calls by the end of the year.
We employ over 8,000 people who work or volunteer across London to respond to the health needs of over eight million people who live, work and travel in the capital. We work closely with our NHS partners and are commissioned by 32 clinical commissioning groups spread across 5 sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and NHS England for our specialist services. We work alongside London’s hospital, mental health and specialist trusts, as well as the five STPs across Greater London.
In addition we work in partnership with the other emergency services, London’s Air Ambulance and London’s Resilience Forums to make sure we are ready and prepared to respond to major incidents and ensure we keep Londoners safe. As the only pan-London NHS provider we have a unique opportunity to play a leading role in integrating access to emergency and urgent care right across London.
By 2023 we will improve outcomes and experiences for all our patients by providing the right care to patients at the right time, and in the most cost effective way. This will mean up to 122,000 fewer patients being taken to emergency departments when their needs could be better met in a different way, and we will deliver significant efficiencies in avoided costs to the urgent and emergency care sector.
Are you a driven and dynamic IT professional looking to move into a role where you can make a difference? As the successful candidate, you will be involved in providing technical expertise and guidance within the support team. You will be the SME for key technologies within our core infrastructure, ensuring delivery, implementation and support of IT solutions are met across the organisation. This is a fantastic opportunity to work within an exciting team of talented, highly skilled engineers and work with architecture used to support urgent and emergency patient care across the capital. This role is suited to a network engineer with proven skills and thorough experience working with Cisco network equipment including switches, routers, firewalls and wireless technologies.
Are you a team player that could help us support critical data and security services ?
As a Network Engineer you will be responsible for resolving technical issues and problems via the service management ticketing system. You will have experience of working with a variety of Cisco technologies which include multilayer switches, routers, Nexus data centre infrastructure, firewalls including next generation firewalls, wireless technologies, ISE and other security appliances. You should have excellent focus to detail and a methodical approach to solving complex network issues and problems.
You will be Cisco qualified and in possession of a valid CCNA, or preferably CCNP accreditation.
- Responding to incidents and service requests as raised by the Service Desk within service level agreements and ensuring tickets are regularly updated through to completion
- Utilising the available monitoring platforms to quickly identify faults or problems and respond appropriately to implement a resolution
- Designing and implementing new network solutions and/or improving the efficiency of current networks
- Installing, configuring and supporting network equipment including routers, switches, firewalls, WLAN controllers and security appliances
- Updating network equipment to the latest firmware releases
- Assisting in network related project activities and providing overview and SME guidance
- Travelling to sites to troubleshoot localised network issues and implement resolutions or workarounds.
- Work in collaboration with other infrastructure or IT teams to resolve complex IT outages and provide network support for major incidents
- Take a lead role in managing critical incidents and work with other teams to identify root cause and resolution
- Prepared to work during unsociable hours for the implementation of service impacting changes
- Managing contractual, junior staff and third party organisations whilst working on network deliverables
- Participate in the service transition of project deliverables so that they are fully accepted and supported by the team
Working for our organisation
- Clear objectives are set through annual personal developments and monthly meetings with staff ensure that defined and specific targets are monitored and tracked
- The team works closely together, sharing knowledge and expertise where applicable.
- Weekly team meetings are organised to ensure everyone is kept up to date with the various work streams and activities. A monthly directorate wide meeting is held bringing together the whole of IT for senior level updates and communications.
- Staff are encouraged to develop their skills either through instructor led training courses, online training, self-study and knowledge sharing sessions
- As a key IT team we are expected to provide input and insight into network technologies and outline configurations, expected technology behaviours.
London Ambulance Service NHS Trust is the busiest ambulance Trust in the UK. We are seeking someone who will fit with the Trust values of being respectful, professional, innovative and collaborative.
Annual leave starts at 27 days rising to 33 days, plus bank holidays, in line with agenda for change (NHS terms and conditions).
Employees can access Blue Light (emergency services) discounts as well as NHS discount schemes.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The network underpins key critical infrastructure and services which are necessary to provide urgent and emergency patient care. It is important the successful candidate has proven knowledge and experience in working with Cisco network equipment.
The ability to work under pressure and possess strong troubleshooting skills are essential. The ability to work collaboratively with other teams and engineers is vital as a large amount of work requires combined engineering support.
You will need to have an understanding of ITIL principles and practices which we use for service management activities. There are strict controls in place for changes and you should have familiarity with presenting changes to a control board for scrutiny.
Applicants are advised to read all the information enclosed in the advert and the supporting information before completing and submitting an application. As you complete your application please ensure you clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria in the person specification for this post by adequately completing the supporting information section of the application form.
Priority will be given to staff at risk candidates.
We reserve the right to close the application window early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
‘Applicants should familiarise themselves with the new NHS pay progression system introduced from 1 April 2019 as well as the ‘NHS pay deal’ regarding moves from Annex 5 (previously Annex E) to section 2 unsocial hours provision when considering new posts in the NHS.’
London Ambulance Service NHS Trust is a member of the Business Disability Forum and is a Disability Confident Employer.
For more information on our equalities strategy, please visit our website and review our current equalities strategy.
In addition to the basic salary for all Agenda for Change posts, London Ambulance Service NHS Trust in line with the NHS Agenda for Change provides 15% or 20% High Cost Area Supplement (HCAS) dependant on the location of your role. The supplement is subject to minimum and maximum payment.
High Cost Area Supplement (HCAS) for part time employee will be based on the part time salary.
Correspondence regarding an application will be done via email to all job applicants. Please ensure you provide current e-mail address on the job application form and please check your email inbox regularly.
If you are successful at interview and offered employment, your personal details will also be transferred into the national NHS Electronic Staff Records system.
Pre-employment checks will be required for all applicants who are issued with a conditional offer of employment. This includes Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) checks as required for the post and registration with the DBS update service. Documents presented for the purpose of Identity Checks will be verified for authenticity via an ID Scanner. The security features to be checked include machine readable zone, ultra violet image and infra-red image.
The London Ambulance Service NHS Trust reserves the right to close adverts before the published closing date due to high volumes of applications received.
If you do not hear back from us within four weeks of the advert closing date, please assume that you have not been successful at the shortlisting stage.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the United Kingdom (UK) are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. Please note that from January 2021, to work in the UK all candidates who are not UK or Republic of Ireland (RoI) nationals require sponsorship unless you have permission to work via another route. Non UK / RoI candidates wishing to apply can self-assess the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship here. It is vital that you provide full and accurate details of your current immigration status on the application form. Overseas applicants applying for entry clearance into the UK must present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided in continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Guidance can be found here. Not everyone needs a ‘Skilled Worker’ visa. If you are applying for a vacancy in health or adult social care, check if you’re eligible to apply for the Health and Care Worker visa instead. It’s cheaper to apply for and you do not need to pay the annual immigration health surcharge
Qualifications, Accreditations, Education
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in specialist IT related subject with additional specialist training and knowledge
- Professional IT qualifications i.e., Cisco CCNA, CCNP or equivalent or significant experience working as a network engineer at this level
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundation level qualified
- Extensive experience of Cisco hardware installation and troubleshooting knowledge, particularly covering Cisco switches, routers, wireless controllers through to Cisco VOIP and ISE products
- Call centre exposure in a highly intensive working area, Firewall experience and knowledge of Firepower and Fortinet hardware and software
- Extensive IT support experience in a complex and critical Voice and Data environment providing advanced specialist technical support over multiple sites to 1000+ customers/users on IPT, LAN/WAN, PABX, Radio (ICCS) switch systems and radio systems
- Extensive experience of working in highly secure, controlled data centres, deploying and managing Nexus Data Centre switches
- A thorough understanding of wireless technologies with experience in the administration of wireless LAN controllers and wireless access points
- Extensive experience of managing staff, contractors and suppliers
- Experience in developing and delivering technical training courses and user guides to large groups of staff
- Extensive experience of IT Service Desk Applications
- Extensive experience of preparing and writing professional business reports
- Extensive experience of managing and achieving Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Experience of managing budgets in excess of £100k
- Project management experience including PRINCE2 knowledge and practice
Knowledge and Skills
- Advanced knowledge of troubleshooting Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Teams etc
- An in-depth knowledge of troubleshooting Microsoft Operating systems including Windows
- Extensive specialist troubleshooting Voice and Data hardware and software faults
- Experience of database development and administration
- Experience in systems analysis and business analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate successfully with all levels of personnel
- Be customer focused with an excellent telephone manner
- Ability to analyse and translate highly complex specialist IT issues and to communicate with customers in respect of problem identification and resolution
- Proven ability to manage, plan and prioritise workload with excellent time management
- Ability to interpret numerical data and make logical deductions
- Ability to process highly complex data
- Ability to carry and install rack mount and standalone network and server equipment in restricted space
- Ability to maintain and administer systems critical to the provision of services to the LAS and the public in an end user environment
- Ability to identify and report the inappropriate use of IM&T equipment
- Strong leader with the ability to develop and mentor staff
- Extensive use of information systems and preparation of statistical reports and management information
- Adhere to the Trust values and behaviours
- Evidence of personal and continuous career development
- Energy, enthusiasm, self-motivating and able to motivate others
- Excellent leadership and team working skills
- Proven ability to work without supervision, under pressure and to deadlines without compromising standards of performance
- Ability to convey data of a sensitive nature tactfully and professionally
- Ability to sustain prolonged periods of intense concentration and periods of frequent interruptions where an immediate change in focus is required
- Ability to manage conflicts between departments, suppliers and project teams
- Flair and initiative to introduce innovative tools/technologies to the LAS
- Ability to work outside of normal working hours on a regular basis
- To be a full UK driving licence holder
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mebs Johar
- Job title
- IM&T Network Services Manager
- Email address