Trac proudly powers the recruitment for
NHS Business Services Authority
The NHSBSA values and respects the diversity of its employees, and aims to recruit a workforce which reflects our diverse communities. We welcome applications irrespective of people’s age, disability, gender, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or other personal circumstances.
We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including an invitation to the first stage of the selection process and consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability.
The NHSBSA will not normally re-engage a former employee in any capacity including in a self-employed/consultancy capacity; through an agency; in a temporary or permanent post or to a supply list, for a period of 12 months after the redundancy date.
Closed for applications on: 29-Jun-2022 00:00
Vacancy status: Closed
Closed for applications on: 29-Jun-2022 00:00
- Stella House
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- NE15 8NY
- Major / Minor Region
- Tyne and Wear
Contract type & working pattern
- Secondment: 10 months
- Full time
- Flexible working
- £32,306 - £39,027 per annum
- Salary period
- (NHS AfC: Band 6)
- Main area
Our Technology Applications team have responsibility for the organisation’s Microsoft Power Platform suite of applications. We are looking for a highly motivated Power Platform Developer to help us modernise and maintain our current solutions and develop new services as required. Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will engage with both internal and external stakeholders, ensuring that the platform continues to meet the needs of the business.
You will have the opportunity to get involved in the development as new services are onboarded, work with our test team to provide quality assurance, implementation and support as well as continuous improvement and lifecycle management.
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Flexi time
- Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
- Career development
- Active wellbeing and inclusion networks
- Excellent pension
- NHS Car lease scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts!
What do we need from you?
- Experience of building and supporting Power Platform applications
- Experience of business change and the rationalisation of systems, processes, and services
- The ability to communicate complex technical information easily to both technical and non-technical people
- Knowledge of topics such as accessible development, prototyping, user-centred design and test-driven development.
- Experience of presenting work to internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of other Microsoft 365 applications
If you think this could be the role for you, please take the time to apply or get in touch for with any questions.
Whilst we are currently working remotely, there may be a requirement for you to travel to our offices in the future.
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In this role, you are accountable for:
1. Evaluating, analysing, and interpreting complex information and requirements to inform development of applications and services, providing options to support a range of solutions.
2. Applying appropriate methods and procedures throughout the full development lifecycle in accordance with IT standards and customer requirements.
3. Designing, developing and delivering features and benefits for new and existing services that provide business value.
4. Oversees effective running of bespoke services, third-party applications and configurable of the shelf products (CoTS) and services, providing advice and guidance to other teams to support resolution of problems and major incidents.
5. Using incident, problem, request and change management processes and systems to support the successful implementation of system enhancements and fault resolutions, in a timely manner.
6. Implementing standards and policies, pro-actively identifying and proposing improvements or enhancements to meet changing needs.
7. Proactively engaging in conversations to support the on-going development and maintenance of your own skills and knowledge, including attending relevant Communities of Practice.
8. Communicating complex information effectively across a wide range of people and levels of understanding, including both technical and non-technical audiences, to influence, negotiate and secure value-based outcomes for the delivery of services.
9. Planning your own work to achieve agreed objectives, prioritising multiple and sometimes conflicting deliverables, escalating as appropriate, any issues which may impact deadlines.
10. Leading, participating and contributing to quality assurance reviews of your and others work through a variety of approaches such as peer review, learning logs, and engaging in appropriate communities of practice.
11. Regularly horizon scans to keep abreast of new and emerging technologies and standards to support innovative and creative delivery of business objectives.
In addition you will:
12. Support relevant recruitment and selection in line with organisational processes.
13. Mentor and coach other team members, and apprentices to enable the on-going personal development and growth of skills within the team.
14. Co-ordinates work other team members in line with agreed delivery of services
15. Maintain an awareness of financial and personal implications in the use of a range of resources.
16. Contribute to and prepare proposals for change including producing necessary estimates, mandates and business cases within the technology department.
17. Identifying opportunities and engaging in partnership working with other individuals, groups and agencies.
18. Effectively engage and collaborate across multiple disciplines to ensure consistent approaches, methods, standards, and patterns are holistically applied.
19. Maintaining an awareness of agreed service levels, KPI's and standards within team, reviewing own performance and adapt own approach to maximise the delivery to support and meet agreed standards.
20. Monitoring and reporting on a number of areas including agreed service levels, KPI's and standards within team, generating reports to agreed frequency, methods and processes.
The NHSBSA is passionate about creating a diverse and inclusive organisation, which is a great place to work and truly reflects the diversity of our customers. We welcome applications from talented people of diverse characteristics including age, disability, gender identity and expression, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or any marginalised group. We also welcome applications from all those in the Armed Forces Community.
At the NHSBSA we pride ourselves on being a Disability Confident Leader, Stonewall Top 100 employer and we’ve recently been awarded the Employers Network for Equality and Inclusion Gold Standard benchmark.
We offer an invitation to the first stage of the selection process for people with disabilities that wish to be considered under the Disability Confident scheme, and for members of the Armed Forces Community, where all of the essential criteria in the person specification are met.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
A copy of our Privacy Notice is available to view at the link below:
- Degree calibre
- Relevant knowledge/experience of the subject matter
- Qualifications in appropriate IT certification (eg ITIL, TOGAF, Agile, ISTQB etc)
Personal Qualities, Knowledge
- Working collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team setting, both internal and externally
- Management of own work including individual tasks, whilst maintaining team deliverables.
- Pro-active approach to self-learning and continuous professional development
- Specialist knowledge consistent with attainment of degree level qualifications.
- Business change and rationalisation of systems processes and services
- Analysis of requirements, design and development of applications to meet business needs
- Analysis and investigation of ICT issues, within new and existing services to enable business continuity and resolve major incidents
- Use of version control systems such as Github/Gitlab, SVN
- • Knowledge of topics such as accessible development, prototyping, user-centred design and test-driven development
- Awareness of digital channel shift and approaches
- Knowledge of design principles (Object oriented design; common design patterns; responsive web design; security by design; government service design)
- Performing a range of varied work activities in a range of structured and unstructured environments
- Software development lifecycle, including but not limited to developing code based applications, quality assurance and test processes, and supporting in a 2nd/3rd line environment
- Communicating complex technical information easily to both technical and non-technical people
- Mentoring, coaching and sharing best practice with a range of staff, including presenting to groups of internal staff.
- Rapidly absorbing complex technical and business information to learn new technologies keep skills up to date and adapt to change
- Identifying risks and escalating them as appropriate
- Writing and maintaining system documentation
- Developing and maintaining clean, production ready code across a variety of programming languages and frameworks.
- Presenting work at user groups and conferences
- Meeting strict service requirements (KPIs, SLAs, OLAs)
- Experience of development in Power Platform
- Developing or supporting large scale or highly critical services.
- Upgrading, converting, modernising or digitising applications/services
- Identifying, assessing and managing risk.
- Knowledge of SQL and its use in one or more DBMS (Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL Server)
Further details / informal visits contact
- Emma Howitson-Morley
- Job title
- Applications Development and Support Team Manager
- Email address
- Additional information
Neil Coupland - email@example.com