Trac proudly powers the recruitment for
Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust
The Trust comprises two hospitals: Southport & Formby District General Hospital and Ormskirk & District General Hospital.
The hospitals are fully supported by comprehensive paramedical services and other support services.
Locum Consultant Anaesthetist
Closed for applications on: 1-Jul-2022 00:01
Vacancy status: Closed
Closed for applications on: 1-Jul-2022 00:01
- Southport and Ormskirk
- L39 2AZ
- Major / Minor Region
Contract type & working pattern
- Fixed term: 12 months
- Full time - 6 sessions per week (plus on-call 24 hrs)
- £82,096 - £110,683 per annum
- Salary period
- (Locum Consultant)
- Main area
- Interview date
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
Locum Consultant Anaesthetist
Southport and Ormskirk NHS Trust
Fixed Term - 12 months
£82,096 - £110,683 per annum
Acute care is provided at Southport and Formby District General Hospital and Ormskirk and District General Hospital. This includes adults’ and children’s accident and emergency services, intensive care and a range of medical and surgical specialities. Women’s and children’s services, including maternity, are provided at Ormskirk hospital.
Working for our organisation
Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust provides healthcare in hospital and the community to 258,000 people across Southport, Formby and West Lancashire.
The North West Regional Spinal Injuries Centre at Southport hospital provides specialist care for spinal patients from across the North West, North Wales and the Isle of Man.
The Trust also provides sexual health services for the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
LOCUM CONSULTANT ANAESTHETIC POSTS
12 months fixed term
Applicants are invited for Locum posts within the Anaesthetic Department at Southport and Ormskirk NHS Trust. The posts have arisen due to retirement, service development and recent relocation.
These are full time posts fixed term for 12 months, based at both Southport and Ormskirk hospital sites. On call duties include providing anaesthetic services for emergency surgery, maternity, paediatric emergencies for stabilization and transfer, ICU cover on a 1 in 8 basis
The department covers a wide range of surgical specialties including General, Urology – with Day Case Holmium Laser Prostectomy, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Day Case ENT Surgery, Dental Surgery, Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery and Intensive Care. There is a Supra Regional Spinal Injuries Unit at the Southport Hospital site, and we provide elective surgery to this patient group also. The Trust has an acute and chronic pain service available across both sites.
There is a new 4 bedded POCCU area within our Critical Care template (at the Southport site) and this has assisted the development of a rectus sheath catheter service such that we can offer this analgesic modality to both elective and emergency abdominal surgery patients.
The successful candidates should be willing to integrate into an established and supportive Anaesthetic department and to meet the challenges involved.
All applicants must be either on the GMC Specialist Register or be within six months of obtaining their CCT award at the time of interview. The posts are due to commence with the Trust as soon as possible.
You will be joining an enthusiastic Anaesthetic Team. The Departments of Anaesthesia and Critical Care consist of 20 Consultants, 1 Associate Specialist, 17 Specialty Doctors, 6 Anaesthetic Core trainees, 1 ACCS trainee, 4 Anaesthesia Associates and 2 ACCP’s providing an anaesthetic service to the Trust which is based on two main sites at Southport & Formby District General Hospital and Ormskirk District General Hospital. In addition to this, the Critical Care department has 2 ACCPs, 3 Clinical Fellows and 2 Internal Medical Trainees to provide support to the anaesthetic critical care cohort. The trainee feedback both locally and via the GMC survey over the last 2 years had shown we provide excellent training for junior trainees.
The Trust is happy to consider flexible working arrangements and extended days to deliver a desirable work life balance, support professional goals and personal development.
Please see individual job descriptions and specifications for more details
Arrangements to visit the hospital and informal enquiries may be made directly to Dr S Kehinde, Clinical Director of Anaesthetics or Dr J Haines Consultant Anaesthetist, contactable via their secretary on 01704 704201 or 01695 656421.
We look forward to hearing from you
Advert Date: 06-Jun-2022
Closing Date: 30-Jun-2022
Shortlisting Date: 01-Jul-2022
Proposed Interview Date: 21-Jul-2022 - am
Please apply on-line and expect all future correspondence relating to your application via e-mail. This includes 'Invitation to Interview', so it is important you check your e-mail account on a regular basis.
Trust policy is that we do not pay interview expenses.
Should your application be successful we will require a reference/references covering a minimum period of 3 years from your current/most recent employer. Wherever possible provide an e-mail address for your referees.
If you are shortlisted we are required to check your documents to establish both your identity and your right to work in this country at interview. We require at least one item of photographic documentation. A list of acceptable documents can be viewed in "Further Links".
Non EEC Overseas candidates wishing to apply would require immigration sponsorship. You can self assess the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for this post. Please follow the link at the bottom of the advert to the UKBA website.
You will be required to complete a 'Declaration of Fitness to Practice' form if the post requires a DBS, and return it prior to interview. Trust policy is that we charge successful applicants for all DBS fees.
In submitting an application, you authorise Southport & Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust to confirm any previous NHS service via the ESR IAT process or paper Staff Transfer form, should you be appointed.
We reserve the right to close the job early should we receive a high volume of applications.
We are unable to respond to all applicants. If you are selected for interview you will be advised within maximum of four weeks.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- Full registration with General Medical Council and Licence to Practice
- MB ChB or equivalent.
- FRCA or equivalent.
- Inclusion on the GMC Specialist Register or within six months of receiving CCT at the time of interview.
- MD/MSc or equivalent
- Fellowship of Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine (FFICM) or eligible for FFICM, or equivalent
Clinical Knowledge &Training
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience of working in pain medicine/ anaesthesia within the NHS
- Successful completion of Higher Training, or equivalent, in General Duties, including the following non-essential Units of Training: General, urological and gynaecological surgery
- Successful completion of Higher Training, or equivalent, in General Duties, including the following non-essential Units of Training: Obstetrics
- Successful completion of Higher Training, or equivalent, in Paediatric Anaesthesia
- Successful completion of Higher Training, or equivalent, in intensive care medicine.
- Evidence of advanced training, or equivalent, preferably in at least one of the General Duties Units of Training.
- Ability to stabilise and provide initial management of the critically ill and/or emergency anaesthetic patient.
- Current ALS Provider
- Ability to manage respiratory and cardiac arrest in adults and children
- Current PLS/ APLS Provider
- Advanced training or equivalent in Obstetric anaesthesia
- Advanced training or equivalent in general, urological and gynaecological surgery
- 6-month attachment for Higher Training in Paediatric Anaesthesia
- Knowledge, skills and/ or experience of developing a maternal critical care service
Management/ Leadership / Audit
- Understanding of NHS management and leadership responsibilities of a consultant.
- Evidence of active and consistent engagement with clinical audit and/ or QIP(s)
- Good IT and computing skills.
- Completion of appropriate management/ leadership course(s)
- Previous participation in a management/ leadership role.
- Recognition by the GMC as a Clinical Supervisor
- Evidence of delivering teaching to undergraduate students, postgraduate doctors and/ or allied healthcare professionals
- Recognition by the GMC as an Educational Supervisor
- Formal training/ qualification in Teaching and/or Learning
- Life support course instructor
- Evidence of recent and current research, with relevant publications.
- Formal training in Research Methodology
- Membership of appropriate professional society (ies). Knowledge of the up-to-date literature.
- Knowledge of the up-to-date literature.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, approachability and ability to motivate and develop others
- Ability to lead change and the development of services and promote excellence and best practice
- Caring and responsible attitude to colleagues
Further details / informal visits contact
- Lesley Enright
- Job title
- Operational Service Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01695 65 6152
- Additional information
Arrangements to visit the hospital and informal enquiries may be made directly to Dr S Kehinde, Clinical Director via his secretary on 01704 704201 or 01695 656421
Please note such visits do not form part of the interview process.