Trac proudly powers the recruitment for
NELFT NHS Foundation Trust
NELFT NHS Foundation Trust provides mental health and community services for over 4.9 million people living in the London Boroughs of Waltham Forest, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham, Havering, and across Essex and Kent.
We work to ensure our patients, their friends and family, feel confident that their health needs are well met. With an excellent reputation for research and development, our skilled health professionals are at the cutting edge of evidence-based innovation, opening up the possibilities for better ways of working and delivery of care.
Closed for applications on: 11-Aug-2022 00:01
Vacancy status: Closed
Closed for applications on: 11-Aug-2022 00:01
- Goodmayes Hospital
- Barley Lane
- IG3 8XJ
- Major / Minor Region
Contract type & working pattern
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- £93,735 - £108,075 pa
- Salary period
- (NHS AfC: Band 9)
- Main area
Do you want to be part of an innovative organisation that is committed to delivering the best care by the best people? We are looking to appoint people who are as passionate about high quality care as we are.
Here at NELFT, embracing a Just and Compassionate Culture is our commitment to our colleagues and to our patients that we will support and promote a culture based on fairness, respect, honesty, and trust, ensuring that we have consistent leadership behaviours and styles across the Trust. Our vision is to create an engaging place to work in partnership, where we value diverse perspectives and work in an environment in which you feel valued, supported, understood, and developed. Our professional relationships are built on a foundation of mutual respect, trust and honesty. We are committed to welcoming and making everyone feel valued here at NELFT.
We embrace continuous learning to improve patient outcomes and we provide outstanding professional development opportunities for our workforce. If you want to grow and progress your career with an organisation that values it’s people, take the first step on an exciting career journey and join us today.
The Chief Pharmacist is seen as a well-respected, credible, and critical role within the senior management team and clinical leadership at NELFT. The post holder will play a pivotal role in delivering an innovative strategy for pharmacy and medicines optimisation, in collaboration with system partners and in alignment with NELFT’s strategic objectives (Best Value, Best Partner, Best Care and Best People)
We are looking for a dynamic individual, who can inspire and motivate others to achieve their full potential, whilst being true to the values of the organisation. The post holder will have responsibility for the strategic and operational delivery of pharmacy and medicines optimisation services, be the organisation CDAO, professional lead for the pharmacy workforce, the lead for AMRSG, co-lead for NMP, contribute to efficiency opportunities and be the lead for improving safe medicines use.
Working for our organisation
We continue to encourage all staff to ensure that they have been double vaccinated and received their booster. We recognise that taking the vaccine provides the best defence against COVID 19 for our patients, our staff and their families.
This post will be subject to a probationary period. Internal applicants are exempt from the probationary period (unless you are an internal applicant currently part way through a probationary period or currently a bank member of staff).
Starting with NELFT
NELFT place a great deal of importance on new starters being properly welcomed and inducted into the Trust. All new starters will join the Trust on the first Monday of each month and will undertake a comprehensive induction of up to two weeks which will include mandatory training, systems training and the allocation of equipment. As part of the process new starters will have the opportunity to also meet the executive team, senior managers and attend a number of drop in sessions focusing in engagement, health and wellbeing and key processes. The induction will be held at our head office in Rainham, Essex.
High Cost Area Supplement – London
This post also attracts payment for High Cost Area Supplement of 15% of the basic salary (minimum payment of £3,898 and a maximum payment of £4,967 per annum pro rata).
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
'Please see attached Job Description and Person Specification'.
The pharmacy team has been on an impressive journey of continuous improvement over the last three years and have transformed the service. Some of the key achievements include:
- A re-tender and relocation of the outsourced pharmacy supply service to the Goodmayes Hospital site
- Trust wide deployment of EPMA, Omnicell Automated Medicines Cabinets, PowerBi Pharmacy Dashboard, Comark wireless temperature monitoring to contribute to HIMMS L7 accreditation.
- Doubled the size of the pharmacy workforce, including some key clinical and leadership posts
- Strengthened clinical leadership with the addition of 3 Consultant Pharmacist posts and 4 Directorate Pharmacy Leadership Posts.
- Development of clinical pharmacy posts as part of the CMHT transformation across WF and BHR, as well as specialist posts in Learning Disability, Perinatal MH, ACP Pharmacist and CAMHS.
- Collaborative clinical posts between acute organisations and CCGs within respective ICS to support system working and improving patient pathways
- Introduction of a clinical pharmacy on-call and weekend service
- Developed education and training infrastructure, including progression posts, apprenticeships and trainee pharmacists – supported through a rotational training programme.
- Significant improvement in medicines related risks in line with the 2019 CQC report
- Improved visibility and leadership for pharmacy service and medicines optimisation across the organisation, local systems and nationally
- Several publication and research outputs, including HSJ and CMHP awards.
- Covid-19 pandemic response, including stand up of Nightingale Hospital 2 and 4 Mass Vaccination Centres.
- A team that aligns to NELFT’s Just and Compassionate culture
We are seeking a highly motivated, and experienced leader who will be able to embed the improvements over the recent period and continue to take the organisation to new heights as part of the next stage in the journey.
We encourage applications for individuals who are taking a step into their first position into a Chief Pharmacist role. Prior experience of working in a Community and Mental Health Trust is not essential.
It is encouraged that prospective candidates contact us for an informal discussion if
The base for this role will be Pharmacy Department, Goodmayes Hospital, Ilford. In line with
the NELFT Agile Working Policy, staff will be supported where possible to work remotely and
across our multiple sites at NELFT.
We very much look forward to receiving your application, and please get in touch if
you want to hear more about this role and how we will support you within it.
#TeamNELFT #morethanjustajob @NELFT Careers
Contact: Fran Hayward, PA to Executive Medical Director and Carole Horn, PA to
Interview: Date TBC. Will be conducted via MS Teams
We believe in bringing your authentic and best self to work, in order to provide the best care to our patients. We are committed to supporting our employees holistically. Here is a snapshot of what is on offer at NELFT:
- A long-standing and award-winning approach to Equality and Diversity with supportive networks for ethnic minority staff, staff with disabilities and LGBT staff
- A commitment to supporting our staff achieve a work life balance, through flexible working opportunities and our efforts to support our working parents and carers. This has resulted in us being recognised as a ‘Top 10 Family Friendly Employer’ from Working Families charity
- Proactive health and wellbeing support, including access to our KeepingWell hub, staff psychological support, individual wellbeing conversations and a network of health and wellbeing ambassadors
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement whether that’s job share, part time or another flexible pattern.
Supporting our Armed Forces
We recognise the valuable contribution that the Armed Forces community make to our organisation. We have signed the Armed Forces Covenant, and achieved Gold Award under the Armed Forces Employer Recognition Scheme. We have supportive policies, guaranteed interview schemes for veterans. reservists and military spouses, and give additional leave to our Reservists so that they can attend their annual camp.
Equal opportunities employer
We are committed to equal opportunities and diversity and positively encourage applications from all sections of the community regardless of any protected characteristic.
We are a Disability Confident employer and have made the pledge to commit to employing more people with disabilities. If you require this application in another format i.e Braille or audio tape please contact the recruitment team on 0300 300 1530 or email email@example.com
Correspondence with us
You are advised to regularly check your emails (including any junk mail/spam folders) for correspondence related to this post.
In the event of a high number of responses to any advert, NELFT reserves the right to close the vacancy early. If you do not hear from us within three weeks of the closing date then please assume you have not been successful on this occasion.
You start will be on the first Monday of the month unless otherwise agreed. Further details of our induction will be sent with your offer letter,
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- Masters Degree in Pharmacy (or equivalent
- Registered as a practicing pharmacist with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPC)
- Post Graduate Diploma in pharmacy practice or equivalent training/experience
- Independent prescriber
- Membership of a professional leadership body
- Significant post registration senior experience in hospital pharmacy
Further details / informal visits contact
- Fran Hayward,
- Job title
- PA to Executive Medical Director
- Email address