Trac proudly powers the recruitment for
London Ambulance Service NHS Trust
The London Ambulance Service NHS Trust (LAS) is the largest free ambulance service in the world, caring for more than one-and-a-half million patients every year.
We are the only London-wide NHS Trust and are at the frontline of the NHS in the capital. We serve an area of approximately 620 square miles. Broadly speaking, this is the whole area within the M25.
We have two main functions - the provision of an Accident and Emergency service to respond to 999 calls and our Patient Transport Service, which performs an important role in taking patients to and from their hospital appointments.
In addition, we also manage the Emergency Bed Service, which co-ordinates registers of specialised care facilities available across London, along with some national monitoring services.
Trainee Clinical Education Tutor
Closed for applications on: 17-May-2021 00:00
Vacancy status: Closed
Closed for applications on: 17-May-2021 00:00
- E16 2QU
- Major / Minor Region
Contract type & working pattern
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- £36,070 - £42,712 PA inclusive of HCAS
- Salary period
- (Band 6)
- Main area
- MED CE&S Barking Education Team
- Interview date
London Ambulance Service covers an area of 620 sq. miles, serves one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities and is the busiest ambulance service in the UK. We handle over 1.9 million emergency calls from across the capital and attend more than 1.2 million incidents every single year as well as delivering a 24 hour NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care Service in South East and North East London that we estimate will respond to around 1.4million urgent care calls by the end of the year.
We employ over 8,000 people who work or volunteer across London to respond to the health needs of over eight million people who live, work and travel in the capital. We work closely with our NHS partners and are commissioned by 32 clinical commissioning groups spread across 5 sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and NHS England for our specialist services. We work alongside London’s hospital, mental health and specialist trusts, as well as the five STPs across Greater London.
In addition we work in partnership with the other emergency services, London’s Air Ambulance and London’s Resilience Forums to make sure we are ready and prepared to respond to major incidents and ensure we keep Londoners safe. As the only pan-London NHS provider we have a unique opportunity to play a leading role in integrating access to emergency and urgent care right across London.
By 2023 we will improve outcomes and experiences for all our patients by providing the right care to patients at the right time, and in the most cost effective way. This will mean up to 122,000 fewer patients being taken to emergency departments when their needs could be better met in a different way, and we will deliver significant efficiencies in avoided costs to the urgent and emergency care sector.
Trainee Clinical Education Tutor
This is a fantastic opportunity to be part of a diverse team, supporting the clinical education programmes for Ambulance Operations in one of the busiest ambulance services in the world.
We are looking for highly motivated, dynamic and innovative HCPC registered practising Paramedics to join our team to inspire new and existing staff, delivering a range of educational programmes. You will undertake a development programme as a trainee tutor with a commitment to complete the qualifications detailed below and on completion will be eligible to apply for a position of qualified tutor.
- Teaching qualification i.e. Certificate in Education/PGCE or equivalent
- Level 3 Assessor qualification (Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement or equivalent)
The post holder will deliver both clinical/technical related education and training. This will take place:
- within education centres in a formal classroom setting or virtual classroom
- within an operational environment where there will be patient interaction
- on operational vehicles as Paramedics interacting with patients
- in external environments to support partner education programs
The post holder will deliver these activities, as scheduled to meet the demands of the agreed training plan, including the monitoring and mentoring of all learner activities.The post holder will be actively involved in promoting best practise across the service whilst maintaining compliance with local and national policies and standards.
The post holder will be developed across the educational and leadership aspects, enabling them to undertake a range of managerial and education duties and provide visible clinical and managerial leadership.
Working for our organisation
The Clinical Education and Standards department is a diverse team, responsible for all clinical education programs in the London Ambulance Service. Our team is committed to educational excellence, and we strive for developing, delivering, recording and reporting the very best to ensure the clinical staff of the London Ambulance Service provide the highest patient care.
The Clinical Education and Standards department are moving to brand-new specialist education facilities, located at Dockside and Brentford
As part of our team, you will be encouraged to innovate and advance clinical education. You will be supported to maintain your own clinical and educational expertise, and you will have access to high quality professional development programmes.
Our new centres will provide access to state-of-art digital learning, and our portfolio of education programs will ensure a variety of work that both challenges and excites. We are seeking someone ready to lead change in clinical education.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
You will be actively involved in promoting best practice across the Trust. Additionally, you will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills to provide pastoral care for students, as well as visible clinical leadership.
- The post holder will deliver both clinical/technical related education and training. This will take place:
- within education centres in a formal classroom setting or virtual classroom.
- within an operational environment where there will be patient interaction.
- on operational vehicles as Paramedics interacting with patients.
- in external environments to support partner education programs.
- The post holder will deliver these activities, as scheduled to meet the demands of the agreed training plan, including the monitoring and mentoring of all learner activities.
- The post holder will be actively involved in promoting best practise across the service whilst maintaining compliance with local and national policies and standards.
- The post holder will be developed across the educational and leadership aspects, enabling them to undertake a range of managerial and education duties and provide visible clinical and managerial leadership.
London Ambulance Service NHS Trust is a member of the Business Disability Forum and is a Disability Confident Employer.
For more information on our equalities strategy, please visit our website and review our current equalities strategy.
In addition to the basic salary for all Agenda for Change posts, London Ambulance Service NHS Trust in line with the NHS Agenda for Change provides 15% or 20% High Cost Area Supplement (HCAS) dependant on the location of your role. The supplement is subject to minimum and maximum payment.
High Cost Area Supplement (HCAS) for part time employee will be based on the part time salary.
Correspondence regarding an application will be done via email to all job applicants. Please ensure you provide current e-mail address on the job application form and please check your email inbox regularly.
If you are successful at interview and offered employment, your personal details will also be transferred into the national NHS Electronic Staff Records system.
Pre-employment checks will be required for all applicants who are issued with a conditional offer of employment. This includes Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) checks as required for the post and registration with the DBS update service. Documents presented for the purpose of Identity Checks will be verified for authenticity via an ID Scanner. The security features to be checked include machine readable zone, ultra violet image and infra-red image.
The London Ambulance Service NHS Trust reserves the right to close adverts before the published closing date due to high volumes of applications received.
If you do not hear back from us within four weeks of the advert closing date, please assume that you have not been successful at the shortlisting stage.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the United Kingdom (UK) are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. Please note that from January 2021, to work in the UK all candidates who are not UK or Republic of Ireland (RoI) nationals require sponsorship unless you have permission to work via another route. Non UK / RoI candidates wishing to apply can self-assess the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship here. It is vital that you provide full and accurate details of your current immigration status on the application form. Overseas applicants applying for entry clearance into the UK must present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided in continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Guidance can be found here. Not everyone needs a ‘Skilled Worker’ visa. If you are applying for a vacancy in health or adult social care, check if you’re eligible to apply for the Health and Care Worker visa instead. It’s cheaper to apply for and you do not need to pay the annual immigration health surcharge
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Qualifications, Accreditations, Education
- Paramedic qualification and HCPC registration
- Educated to degree level or equivalent professional qualification
- Work towards the Certificate in Practice Education
- Full, driving licence, valid in the UK and no more than 3 penalty points
- Certificate in Practice Education
- Practising and HCPC Registered Paramedic with two years’ experience
- Experience of developing staff within a team context
- Experience of supervising and mentoring staff
- Experience in Teaching / Education
- Resilient individual with the ability to cope under pressure within a continually changing environment
- Maintaining a professional image at all times
- Desire for excellence
- Sensitivity to the needs of others
- Well organised able to prioritise and respond to changing workloads
- Attention to detail
Knowledge and Skills
- Good knowledge of UK ambulance service clinical practice guidelines, and pan London patient care pathways
- Good knowledge and experience of operational ambulance duties, work procedures & practice
- Maintain currency with clinical/technical developments, using appropriate reference materials
- Working to deadlines without compromising performance
- Ability to design and adapt training packages using a wide range of information resources, including computer software programs and digital learning modes
- Effective people management skills
- Ability to adapt and maintain flexibility within a changing organisation
- The ability to motivate staff in a challenging environment, and the ability to actively promote team working initiatives
- Awareness and understanding of the Trust’s key objectives as defined in the current strategic plan for the Trust
- Effective written and oral communication and the ability to network successfully with colleagues in other agencies and emergency services
- Ability to demonstrate and assist staff in a range of safe manual handling practises utilising all appropriate equipment
- Ability to work remotely
- Act as a role model by demonstrating commitment & adherence to the Service Vision & Value
- Ability to utilise digital technologies e.g Totara, ESR/OLM, GRS , ePCR, CMC, MiDOS, MPDS, Adastra, mobile /electronic learning Apps
- Practical experience in the development and application of digital modes for education delivery
Further details / informal visits contact
- Paul Johnson
- Job title
- Education Centre Manager
- Email address