Advanced Nurse Practitioner- Neonatal Unit
Closed for applications on: 13-Jun-2022 00:01
Vacancy status: Closed
Closed for applications on: 13-Jun-2022 00:01
- Evelina Children's Hospital
- SE1 7EH
- Major / Minor Region
Contract type & working pattern
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- £54,223 - £60,316 pa inc. HCA
- Salary period
- (Band 8a)
- Main area
Guy’s and St Thomas’ is among the UK’s busiest and most successful NHS foundation trusts. We provide a full range of hospital and community services for people in south London and as well as specialist care for patients from further afield including cancer, renal, orthopaedic, respiratory and cardiovascular services.
Guy’s is home to the largest dental school in Europe and a £160 million Cancer Centre opened in 2016. As part of our commitment to provide care closer to home, in 2017 we also opened a cancer centre and a kidney treatment centre at Queen Mary’s Hospital in Sidcup. St Thomas’ has one of the largest critical care units in the UK and one of the busiest emergency departments in London. It is also home to Evelina London Children’s Hospital.
Evelina London cares for local children in Lambeth and Southwark and provides specialist services across south east England including cardiac, renal and critical care services. We lead a number of specialist service networks aiming to ensure children are treated locally where possible, but have access to specialist expertise when they need it. Our community services include health visiting, school nursing and support for families of children with long-term conditions.
Our adult community services teams deliver care at the heart of the local communities we serve, working in partnership with GPs, local authorities and other healthcare and voluntary sector organisations. Working with our partners in Lambeth and Southwark, we are focusing on new ways of working to improve care for local patients.
In February 2021 the Royal Brompton and Harefield joined Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, bringing together world-leading expertise in the care and research of heart and lung disease. Our merger provides a once in a generation opportunity to build a lasting, world-renowned heart and lung centre, providing the highest quality care for patients and conducting world-leading research.
We have a reputation for clinical excellence and high quality teaching and research. We are part of King’s Health Partners, one of eight accredited UK academic health sciences centres. In partnership with King’s College London we have dedicated clinical research facilities and a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Biomedical Research Centre.
Patients are at the heart of everything we do and we pride ourselves on ensuring the best possible patient experience as well as safe, high quality care. We are proud to have one of the lowest mortality rates in the NHS. Following a comprehensive Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection in 2019 we maintained our overall rating of ‘good’. Our adult community services achieved a rating of ‘outstanding’.
The commitment of our 22,000 staff is key to our success. We are one of the largest local employers and we aim to develop and support all our staff so they are able to deliver high quality, safe and efficient care. The 2019 NHS staff survey results show that we have one of the most engaged and motivated workforces in the NHS. We know this has a positive impact on the care provided to our patients.
We have one of the most ambitious capital investment programmes anywhere in the NHS.
Neonatal Unit – Advanced Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Band 8a
The post is suited to an experienced, dynamic, enthusiastic ANNP who is well organised and will blend well with our excellent team of nursing and medical colleagues.
You will work exclusively within the Neonatal Unit at the Evelina London Children's Hospital part of Guy's and St Thomas's NHS Foundation Trust. A full shift Tier 1 rota with other medical trainees and ANNPs. There is already a well-established team of ANNPs present on the unit and the post-holder would work within this group.
The role would also include dedicated time for the post-holder to complete quality improvement projects within the department, take on leadership roles and teaching.
Closing Date: 12 June 2022
Interview Date: 20 June 2022
We have fantastic opportunities for a dedicated and experienced ANNP who is looking to broaden their clinical experience and develop their career. We are a tertiary referral centre incorporating 20 NICU, 12 HDU and 14 special care cots. We provide an unrivalled breadth of experience, caring for babies with surgical, cardiac, neurological, renal and metabolic disorders as well as those born prematurely.
ANNP’s with a sound knowledge base within the field of Neonatology are encouraged to apply. We are looking for committed, caring and passionate individuals who are keen to provide excellent care to our babies and their families following a Family Integrated care approach.
Working for our organisation
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust comprises five of the UK’s best known hospitals – Guy’s, St Thomas’, Evelina London Children’s Hospital, Royal Brompton and Harefield – as well as community services in Lambeth and Southwark, all with a long history of high quality care, clinical excellence, research and innovation.
We are among the UK’s busiest, most successful foundation trusts. We provide specialist care for patients including heart and lung, cancer and renal services as well as a full range of local hospital and community services for people in Lambeth and Southwark.
We have a long tradition of clinical and scientific achievement and – as part of King’s Health Partners – we are one of England’s eight academic health sciences centres, bringing together world-class clinical services, teaching and research. We have one of the National Institute for Health Research’s biomedical research centres, established with King’s College London in 2007, as well as dedicated clinical research facilities.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The Advanced Nurse Practitioner is an experienced registered nurse with specialist skills to assess and treat patients and manage the clinical environment, in liaison with the management and consultant team.
The nurse will act as an autonomous practitioner in forming clinical decisions and complex management plans in the diagnosis, assessment and treatment of patients. In conjunction with senior nursing and consultant staff formulate the development of clinical guidance for all aspects of clinical practice within the clinical speciality.
The post holder will develop new areas of practice, with nursing and consultant staff ensuring quality standards are met. The post holder will work closely with the interdisciplinary team and collaborate with colleagues to ensure that high quality patient care is maintained.
Please see the attached Job Description for details of duties and responsibilities.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ celebrates, respects and values the diversity of its staff and patients. We review our policies, procedures and practices to ensure that all employees, patients and carers are treated equitable according to their needs. We are actively committed to ensuring that no one who applies for a job, works or study’s at the Trust, or accesses our services is discriminated against on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, religion or belief, age, gender identity , gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity/paternity, or marital/civil partnership.
Applications are welcomed from applicants with a disability. We can make reasonable adjustments and offer support and advice in a variety of ways throughout the application process. Equality of opportunity is our policy.
As an organisation we are committed to developing our services in ways that best suit the needs of our patients. This means that some staff groups will increasingly be asked to work a more flexible shift pattern so that we can offer services in the evenings or at weekends.
Your e-mail address is important to us - We communicate to all job applicants via the e-mail address which has been provided on the application form. Please ensure that you check your e-mail on a regular basis.
Please apply for this post by clicking "Apply Online Now."
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- Bachelors Degree in nursing, health or management related studies.
- A Masters level qualification/in progress or equivalent experience
- Be an independent prescriber according to the Trusts Non medical prescribing policy
- Teaching and Assessment qualification
- Advanced physical assessment skills
- Certificated speciality courses
Professional/ Statutory Registration
- First level registered Nurse
- Meet NMC revalidation standards
- Broad clinical experience relevant to the post, including specialist skills and experience in speciality.
- A proven track record of clinical service management at a senior level in an acute hospital environment, including staff management, financial management and change management.
- Demonstrate use of financial acumen in patient/client, team, organisational and system level decision-making and demonstrate appropriate strategies to enhance quality, productivity and value
- Experience of teaching patients and staff and others including health promotion and prevention orientation,
- Demonstrate evidence of engaging stakeholders and influencing the development and improvement of practice, patient care and service delivery.
- Advanced assessment and history taking skills
- Advanced theoretical and practical knowledge of speciality with a wide range of approaches to the management of patients, demonstrated by advanced clinical reasoning, critical thinking and be able to comprehensively assess patients for risk factors and early signs of illness
- Ability to lead within the nursing profession and multi-professional working; within an organisation and across organisation boundaries , being able to identify and implement systems to promote their contribution and demonstrate the impact of advanced level nursing to the healthcare team and the wider health and social care sector
- Ability to draw on a diverse range of knowledge in their decision-making to determine evidence-based therapeutic interventions (which will usually include prescribing medication and actively monitoring the effectiveness of therapeutic interventions)
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Excellent written and advanced verbal communication skills demonstrating the use of a variety of media/IT skills
- Evidence of managing clinical services, service innovation and up-to-date knowledge of nursing policy and strategy, together with successful change management experience and a proven track record in launching new initiatives
- Ability to manage change and contain conflict ensuring resolution with positive outcomes, with use of negotiation skills
- Ability to translate and integrate evidence based research/guidelines into the development of local pathways of care
- Ability to develop working relationships locally, regionally and nationally
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills in contexts that are unfamiliar, complex, and unpredictable and provide consultancy services to their own and other professions on therapeutic interventions, practice and service development
- Advanced communication skills demonstrated through the delivery of presentations and producing articles
- Ability to critically appraise and synthesise the outcomes of relevant research evaluations and audits.
- Will be required to hold and respond to a bleep
- High level of work organisation, self motivation, drive for performance and improvement, and flexibility in approach and attitude
- Strong sense of commitment to openness, honesty and integrity in undertaking the role.
Further details / informal visits contact
- Alex Phillips
- Job title
- Lead Nurse
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 020 7188 4039
- Additional information
Anna Milan – Consultant Neonatologist at Anna.Milan@gstt.nhs.uk
We welcome and encourage informal visits to the unit.